Skip to main content

I'm In A Newark State of Mind....

I visited the historical Nottinghamshire market town of Newark-on-Trent last weekend, a lovely place with some excellent pubs. Here's what I found....


Newark is one of those places like Cambridge, Lincoln, and much of that London that I have visited several times in the past but have never blogged about. So last Saturday I decided to remedy that. It was a three train journey: Brighouse to Leeds, then one to Doncaster, and then change for Newark, but it was all pretty seamless, and around twenty past 12 I was limping into town from Northgate Station. I made my way along Appletongate, which according to The Good Beer Guide was the home to a Castle Rock pub called the Fox & Crown. I was building up a thirst for a Harvest Pale, but alas when I got there the place was closed and with blank chalkboards on the wall by the door and window blinds firmly pulled down, it didn't look to be opening anytime soon (a fact that was confirmed to me later in the day). I turned right towards the market square and bumped into a couple I knew from back home who were visiting a rock festival just outside town.

The market was full of stalls with striped red and white canopies selling everything you could think of and probably more besides. The place was bustling, the traders were in good voice, and with bunting flapping and the sun beating down under the watchful eye of the Grade 1-listed St Mary Magdalene Church, it made for a wonderful sight. There is much more to Newark; the castle, plenty of shops, places to eat, a Civil War museum, and the attractive river front as well as a lot of historical buildings and references to check out, plus plenty more pubs than the ones I got chance to visit.


I wandered up Slodman Street and came to a pub I had visited a few times before, the Prince Rupert. It is a historic pub, dating back to the 15th century, presumably named after the Royalist cavalry commander from the Civil War in which Newark was staunchly behind the Royalist cause. It is a low, half-timbered building in mellow colours with several rooms. In a throwback to the early days of the post-pandemic re-opening you were asked to wait to be seated but it turned out this was more to assist with bookings, and it was swiftly relaxed when I asked about the guest beers to an invitation to come to the bar and look for myself. That trip resulted in me purchasing a 4.6% West Coast IPA called Big Bang Theory from Oundle-based Nene Valley, which was a little sweet for my taste but pleasant nonetheless (NBSS 3). I sat in a sparsely-decorated room to the right of the entrance as you go in, but after being the only occupant it soon filled up with a couple of family parties who were dealt with quickly and efficiently by the staff. Well worth a visit if you are in town.

The Prince Rupert, Newark

I finished my pint and left the families to enjoy their Saturday lunch-time get togethers, and headed around the corner to Castle Gate. There I came across another pub on my list, the Flying Circus, its name and much of the internal decor a homage to Monty Python. And as I sat and enjoyed an excellent pint of Magpie Pow Wow - a 4.6% IPA hopped with Citra and Sorachi - it took on more resonance as a large number of steampunks descended on the place, their HG Wells/Jules Verne-inspired attire fitting seamlessly into the place. It turned out there was a gathering in the town, and a former work colleagues and DJ-partner was in town although our paths didn't knowingly cross, but he kindly agreed to let me use one of his photos which he had posted on Facebook. They certainly added some colour and atmosphere to the town, and as I noticed on my last encounter with them in Hebden Bridge they like to enjoy a drink or two! 

Photo by kind courtesy of John Broadhead


I liked the Flying Circus - the beer was good (NBSS 3.5), the staff were friendly, there was a good rock-themed soundtrack, and the atmosphere was excellent!

Just across the road, down the side of a sloping yard was my next destination. This was the Just Beer micropub (opening photo) which I had visited 2 or 3 times in the past and always enjoyed. This was one of the original micros in the country, and it still gives pride of place to conversation and good beer. It features a long thin room with bench seating and tables, whilst before you get to the brick-built bar a pair of church pew-type seats face each other allowing for cross-room debate. The walls feature numerous CAMRA-awards and brewery trays whilst chalked above the bar it stated that since opening in August 2010, 5,960 beers have been served from 1,353 breweries. A further room is situated off the main bar, whilst a couple of beer engines are on display. Just Beer oozes tradition, but it was interesting to see that  the line up of 7 hand pumps (including a cider) has been augmented with half a dozen keg lines since my previous visit. 


Just Beer, Newark...a traditional gem.

I ordered a pint of Scorchio, from Pomona Island. A 3.9% Summer Ale, it was a lovely pale golden colour and unlike so many of their predominantly hazy beers, as clear as a bell. It was absolutely spot on, and a possible contender for my best pint of the year (NBSS 4.5). Whether it was the weather outside, I don't know but it absolutely hit the spot and resulted in more than one return trip to the bar! The place was quite busy, with a steady flow of customers, including the occasional steampunk. It was fantastic to spend some time again in this traditional gem of a place, join in a conversation, catch the odd comment from a distant table, and just savour the atmosphere, whilst our host with a trilby hat atop his long hair single-handedly dispensed the drinks with an avuncular charm. A must-visit if you are in town.

I had one more new place to visit, and this was situated a few minutes walk away on Portland Street. This was the Newark outlet for Nottinghamshire brewers Blue Monkey, named The Organ Grinder, like its 3 sister pubs scattered around the county. It was a solid-looking brick building featuring their trademark grinning blue monkey logo, and it was a pleasant and quite busy locals' pub with a range of the brewery's beers on hand pumps. I went for their 4% pale golden bitter, which was another good beer which I rated NBSS 3.5. Definitely another pub to visit if you are in Newark.


  
The Blue Monkey...another great pub

I decided I would visit the Castle Barge, which as the name suggests is an old barge moored in the River Trent in the heart of town that has been converted into a floating pub. I did though get waylaid on my way by a record shop and 20 minutes or so of browsing, plus the fact I was getting hungry was making the original train I had earmarked to go back on look less realistic. I arrived at the Castle Barge, went on board, and whilst I hadn't noticed any waves on the river, I did have a little sway....

The Castle Barge, Newark

I ordered a half of bitter from another Nottinghamshire brewer, Pheasantry, from the bar situated below deck, and decided I would go back on to dry land and sit at one of the tables that were set up. The beer was another pleasant beer which didn't quite hit some of the beer from earlier in the afternoon, but it was a worthy NBSS 3. And beer duly finished, I set off back to Northgate Station, stopping only to buy what turned out to be a huge portion of chips from the Appleton Gate Fish Bar which kept me quiet for a while during my now longer wait for the train home....

Follow me on twitter: @realalemusic

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1872 And All That....

News has broken over the past few days that Elland Brewery, famous for their 1872 Porter which was voted the Champion Beer Of Britain in 2023 have ceased trading. And with other breweries also struggling, the upheavals I wrote about last month are showing no signs of letting up.... I was out with some friends last Saturday afternoon, celebrating one of our number's birthday. With the drinks and conversation flowing as we enjoyed a most enjoyable catch up, we were joined by another friend who mentioned that he'd been out a little earlier and had heard a story from a good source in one of the local pubs that Elland Brewery who, a mere 6 months ago had won Champion Beer of Britain at the Great British Beer Festival for their flagship 1872 Porter, had gone bust. During a break in the conversation, I scoured Google for news about Elland Brewery. Nothing, apart from that win at the GBBF last year. I mentioned it to a couple of people when I was working at the Meandering Bear in Halif

A Calder Valley Ale Trail - UPDATED December 2023

The essential guide to the pubs and bars that line the railways in the towns and villages of the beautiful Calder Valley in West Yorkshire, an area which has a lot to offer and captivate the visitor. Here's the latest, updated version.... The original Rail Ale Trail heads through the Pennines from Dewsbury through Huddersfield to Stalybridge, or vice versa, depending on your starting point. Made famous by Oz Clarke and James May on a TV drinking trip around Britain several years ago, it reached saturation point on weekends to such an extent that lager and shorts were banned by some pubs and plastic glasses introduced to the hordes of stag dos, hen parties, and fancy-dressed revellers that invaded the trans-Pennine towns and villages. There are some great pubs en route and whilst things have calmed down from a few years ago, they can still get very busy on a summer Saturday in particular. However, only a few miles away to the north, there is another trail possible which takes in s

There Used To Be A Bar There....

Last weekend a little bar in Wesley Court in Halifax, closed its doors for the last time. But unlike the sad fate that has befallen so many pubs and bars in recent times, The Grayston Unity will be re-opening in a few weeks' time in a brand new home on the other side of town. And so this weekend was a chance for a final drink and catch-up at its original home.... It was emotional, it was fun, it was inevitable. The final weekend at the original home of the Grayston Unity occurred this weekend, the last pints being poured around 9pm on Sunday evening with the price of a pint dropping first to £2 and then they were free. The little bar had attracted large numbers over the previous few days; Grayston stalwarts, regulars on the Halifax drinking scene, a host of old faces from over the years, and plenty of bemused first-timers, many here from out of town to see the likes of Orbital, the Charlatans, and Johnny Marr playing down the road at the Piece Hall.  Michael enjoying a quiet chat w