Skip to main content

Striding Edges It in Hebden Bridge....

It was the local CAMRA beer festival in Hebden Bridge last weekend, so naturally I went along to check it out along with a number of other special beer-related events that were taking place in the town....

A glass on its own....
I had a frustrating start last Friday. For one reason or another, I got myself behind schedule. Then I discovered that somehow the settings on my phone's camera had gone all weird, so I was faffing about trying to sort them out(which I eventually did). Then I stood watching as I mistakenly thought the incoming train at Halifax station was Huddersfield-bound rather than going through Hebden Bridge (which it was), resulting in a wasted half hour hanging around on the platform till the next train came along. Still, I was able to take advantage of the the sun beating down, belying the fact we were in the dying days of September.

I finally arrived at Hebden Bridge, where I decided to have a quick pint at Vocation and Co. The board behind the bar was dominated by Northern Monk, and it turned out there was a tap takeover by the brewery as part of the Festival weekend. I opted for the Striding Edge on tap, this being a 3.0% light, session IPA featuring Simcoe, Mosaic, and Citra hops. It was developed with fell runner Ricky Lightfoot, hence the reference to the world-famous ridge on Helvellyn. And on this form, it was going to take a mighty fine beer to top it.....

Striding Edge: You've climbed the ridge, now drink the beer...
I finished my beer, savouring every last drop, before making my way to the Town Hall, home once again to the Halifax and Calderdale Beer and Cider Festival. The theme this year was 'Up North', meaning that the beers sourced were all north of an imaginary line which brought in North Wales, Derby, Lincolnshire, the north of England and Scotland, although there were some interlopers from the south acquired through beer swaps. So there was a solid mix of beers from Yorkshire and Lancashire, interspersed with the likes of Good Chemistry, Tiny Rebel, and Tenby, from Bristol, Newport, and Tenby respectively.

Late afternoon on a Friday, and the main room was not too busy, although there were plenty of takers for the outside terrace beside the River Hebden. I opted for an opening half of Extra Hopped Session Pale from Leeds brewers, Anthology. It was as it it said on the clip, plenty of zesty, citrus notes. A solid start(NBSS 3). Next up I had a half of Easy NEIPA, a New England IPA with an intense hoppy fruitiness, which I quite enjoyed. This was from the new Darklands brewery in Halifax, the latest residents of the premises in Boothtown formerly occupied by Oates, and subsequently by the likes of Felix and Boothtown. I was pleased to see that Good Chemistry had a beer at the Festival. It was Time Lapse, a 3.8% traditional English bitter but featuring Endeavour and Olicana hops to give an underlying fruitiness. Sadly, it didn't live up to the last time I had had a drink of Good Chemistry, when I was in the Famous Royal Navy Volunteers in Bristol the other week.

I followed up with a half of Rammy Ale from Rammy Craft, based over the hill in Rammy. This was a 4% bitter which, again, was slightly disappointing compared to when I had had it before. However, things took a decided turn for the better when I spotted the Pomona Island Pale on an adjacent barrel. This was their 3.8% Pale, a sessionable beer, complete with notes of zesty lime, orange, and pink grapefruit, plus the benefit of being dry hopped with Citra and Summit. I love Pomona Island beers, as I have said before, and this was one of the best that I tried at the Beer Festival(NBSS 3.5). The upward trajectory continued, with my next half, British Summer, brewed by the ever-reliable Black Iris Brewery, who are now based in Nottingham. This was a single-hopped pale featuring the British Olicana hop, which revealed some melon and passion fruit flavours, together with underlying grassy notes. It was an absolute belter (NBSS 4).

There were then a couple of disappointments. I had a taste of the 5.3% Cascade from new Todmorden brewers, Three Valleys. I didn't like the taste, and it's not that I don't like the Cascade hop! Then finally, I had a half of the 4% Kicker IPA from Wigan Brewery, which I found to be sadly pretty nondescript.

I did though enjoy my visit overall, it was good to catch up with some familiar faces, and sample some good beers, although inevitably there will be some that just don't do it for you. It is always a very friendly festival, and credit to the organisers who put in so much time and effort.

Anthology Extra Hopped Pale (NBSS 3.5)
My next port of call was Drink?, where as ever the atmosphere was very relaxed and convivial. I tried a couple of the beers, both on hand pump, first up was American Dream, a 3.9% pale ale from Top Rope brewery, based in North East Wales, and then Break Even, a 4.8% pale ale which was a collaboration between Kirkstall and Verdant breweries, which was most enjoyable. From there it was on to Calan's, where Nadine and Damian were showcasing unfined beers over the Festival weekend. And I tried a couple of halves, firstly of Exhibitionist, a 5.0% pale from Salopian, and more intriguingly, a half of the legendary Elland 1872 Porter which, in this unfined version, seemed to take on a completely different, somewhat richer, character. And then it was back to Vocation and Co for some more Northern Monk and some delicious tacos - the Baja-Style Fish and Patatas Al Mojo De Aja (potatoes with shallots, garlic, ancho chillies, coriander, and lime) that I had was absolutely delicious. And from there it was a short walk back to the station to get my train back to Halifax....

I had several conversations with friends who had visited the festival in the subsequent day or two about the merits of beer festivals these days. You could argue that they are something of a relic of a bygone era, but there are arguments both for and against, and I think what I wrote within this piece probably best sums up my thoughts overall. But I have to say that the weekend in Hebden Bridge, featuring a number of different events in several different locations made for a compelling reason to visit the town.

And nothing did top the Striding Edge....

Another bridge in Hebden
Twitter: @realalemusic


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Calder Valley Ale Trail - UPDATED December 2023

The essential guide to the pubs and bars that line the railways in the towns and villages of the beautiful Calder Valley in West Yorkshire, an area which has a lot to offer and captivate the visitor. Here's the latest, updated version.... The original Rail Ale Trail heads through the Pennines from Dewsbury through Huddersfield to Stalybridge, or vice versa, depending on your starting point. Made famous by Oz Clarke and James May on a TV drinking trip around Britain several years ago, it reached saturation point on weekends to such an extent that lager and shorts were banned by some pubs and plastic glasses introduced to the hordes of stag dos, hen parties, and fancy-dressed revellers that invaded the trans-Pennine towns and villages. There are some great pubs en route and whilst things have calmed down from a few years ago, they can still get very busy on a summer Saturday in particular. However, only a few miles away to the north, there is another trail possible which takes in s

1872 And All That....

News has broken over the past few days that Elland Brewery, famous for their 1872 Porter which was voted the Champion Beer Of Britain in 2023 have ceased trading. And with other breweries also struggling, the upheavals I wrote about last month are showing no signs of letting up.... I was out with some friends last Saturday afternoon, celebrating one of our number's birthday. With the drinks and conversation flowing as we enjoyed a most enjoyable catch up, we were joined by another friend who mentioned that he'd been out a little earlier and had heard a story from a good source in one of the local pubs that Elland Brewery who, a mere 6 months ago had won Champion Beer of Britain at the Great British Beer Festival for their flagship 1872 Porter, had gone bust. During a break in the conversation, I scoured Google for news about Elland Brewery. Nothing, apart from that win at the GBBF last year. I mentioned it to a couple of people when I was working at the Meandering Bear in Halif

There Used To Be A Bar There....

Last weekend a little bar in Wesley Court in Halifax, closed its doors for the last time. But unlike the sad fate that has befallen so many pubs and bars in recent times, The Grayston Unity will be re-opening in a few weeks' time in a brand new home on the other side of town. And so this weekend was a chance for a final drink and catch-up at its original home.... It was emotional, it was fun, it was inevitable. The final weekend at the original home of the Grayston Unity occurred this weekend, the last pints being poured around 9pm on Sunday evening with the price of a pint dropping first to £2 and then they were free. The little bar had attracted large numbers over the previous few days; Grayston stalwarts, regulars on the Halifax drinking scene, a host of old faces from over the years, and plenty of bemused first-timers, many here from out of town to see the likes of Orbital, the Charlatans, and Johnny Marr playing down the road at the Piece Hall.  Michael enjoying a quiet chat w